We just watched Hotel Rwanda. I know...it's about time. There are two questions that pop up time after time in Hotel Rwanda. Just a short reflection on each.
1. Why would people do this to one another?
After looking at just the past 60 years of history, it seems to me that genocide is a part of our human condition. Well, we'll just start with Hitler. Of course, we also had Idi Amin. And during that 60 years there have been two different cases in the Baltic. This is just to name a few. We are a fallen people. Lord, have mercy on us.
2. Where was the Western world (Europe and US)?
This is an extremely interesting question. I'm not sure that I like the answer, though. We might say that our overall policy was to allow two groups to work out their own problems. Whether we agree with that position or not, it doesn't seem true. Just one year after the genocide in Rwanda, United States planes were bombing Serbia.
Certainly, there are alot of differences between the situations. However, I believe that the biggest difference was the race of the people. Eastern Europe is worth much more to Americans than Africa.
Of course, my first question when anything like this happens is, "Where was the church?" With all of the talk about the movement of the evangelical church in Uganda and other central African countries, where were God's people?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment