Scandal has hit Auburn University, my alma mater "on the rolling plains of Dixie, 'neath the sun kissed sky."
It seems that a sociology professor has been overseeing many students' independent studies and requiring little or no effort. This would not be such big news if not for the fact that 25 percent of the students were football players. The requirements of the independent study were to 1) read a book (presumably more involved than "Horton Hears a Who"), 2) have several face-to-face meetings with the professor, and 3) write a five (5) page paper.
Wait till you hear this: This was first reported on the FRONT PAGE OF THE NEW YORK TIMES! Hello! There are several wars happening in the middle east, and the front page of the NYT is about the bad decisions of a sociology professor at public university? Beyond the question of whether this is truly a problem I have a couple of thoughts.
1. I took several classes at Auburn that didn't require much more than what these independent study students were required. I know, admitting that doesn't look good for my alma mater. But, really, it isn't Harvard. It isn't Duke. It isn't Vandy.
2. We've still beaten Alabama four times in a row.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I must admit that my Tennis I, Tennis II, Racquetball, and Basketball classes were a little less than academically challenging. But I do think it is becoming clear why all of our football players are criminology majors.
And speaking of alma maters, the NCAA is cracking down on my alma mater, the College of William & Mary. They were told they had to rid themselves of the nickname 'The Tribe.' W&M crafted an appeal. They were allowed to keep calling their sports teams 'Tribe' but the two feathers on the letters 'W' and 'M' which comprises their logo, have to go. Why? Because, and I am paraphrasing here, someone might use it in a derogatory manner. Hello? Have any of these people actually attended a W&M sporting event? And how is it okay for a huge stadium full of people in Tallahassee to do the tomahawk chop but we can't have our two stupid feathers?
All that is to say, the NCAA has the amazing potential to make mountains out of molehills.
Rob, I didn't want to bring it up, but someone that I'm very close to (we live in the same house) made the only B of her last year in Raquetball.
Laura, here's my question: What happens if W&M tells the NCAA to shove it? Do we think that the NCAA is just waiting to make an example out of the College of William & Mary? I say that W&M take it to the next level. There new mascot should be a Native American with a tomahawk in one hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other.
Post a Comment