Monday, October 23, 2006

James Messes with Us Again

If you didn't know, James isn't just the long name for Jim (why is that anyway? It doesn't take long to say, "James.")

James is also a book in the Bible. It is a difficult book for us to read, challenging and straightforward. In fact, there were some who suggested that it be left out of the Bible. Yet, in the wisdom of the ages, we have kept James as a part of the Canon, and it is extremely valuable today.

Recently, I was convicted by James 5:1-4. Read it and weep. We are all so rich! If you don't believe me, stop using your computer to read this blog! There are two things that stood out as I read this passage.

1.) In America, we are blind to our wealth. This is shown through our constant appeal to comparative wealth. Television shows like "The Fabulous Life of ..." helps us to not see our own wealth and comfort. That's bad enough. But our blindness goes deeper. We apparently can't see the suffering and death of the poor. We aren't rich? Don't we have clean water? Cures for disease? Access to basic healthcare?

2.) When James talks about the field worker, many feel let off the hook. "For listen, hear the cries of the field workers whom you have cheated of their pay. The wages you held back cry out against you." My first response to this was, "Get 'em James. Those wealthy companies should pay their workers better. We should raise minimum wage to a living wage. Down with big business! I don't have anyone working for me. I have no harvesters in the field."

Then, I was convicted. See, we live in a consumer-driven economy. In fact, one of the most stated business mantras is still, "The customer is always right." If that is true, then I (as a consumer) am empowered to be an employer. Every time I buy something at the grocery store, I am "employing" a long line of folks from the person who harvested the crop to the person who packaged the product to the person who delivered the goods to the person who stocked the shelves to the person who scanned the barcode. In a real sense, I am to act as a responsible employer of each one of those individuals. It is empowering and a bit scary.

Read James. Be empowered. Be scared.

No comments: